Take a trip to Pulau Ubin in the North Eastern part of Singapore and you’ll see Singapore 50 years ago.
It’s a great place to enjoy some quiet from the traffic in Singapore. The only traffic at Pulau are hikers and cyclists.
We walked around the island instead of renting a bicycle which may be more tiring. Some tips when heading to Ubin:
- Check out the tide times to see Chek Jawa in its bare glory of corals. You may be visiting early in the morning or in the evening.
- Bring a poncho as you never know when the weather may turn nasty and there is hardly any shelter when you are in the middle of a foot march (like what we did).
- Bring lots of water as there are limited places for you to buy water or snacks. The shops around the jetty will be the only chance you’ll get.
- Sunhat, sunscreen, sunnies are all useful under the heat.
- Bug repellent for those with sensitive skin.
- A change of clothes after returning to Tanah Merah Jetty for comfort.